This paleo mushroom onion and kale soup is nutritious and delicious comfort food. Packed with flavor and antioxidants, one bowl makes a perfectly balanced and filling meal.
Warm soup is a perfect meal as temperatures turn cooler. Gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo and keto friendly, this is sure to be a crowd pleaser. I recommend making extra and freezing for later.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet organic onion, sliced to about ½” thickness
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp pink or sea salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, whole
- 2 cups sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (organic and gluten-free)
- 2 cups organic kale, roughly chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup coconut milk or coconut cream
In a large pot, heat oil then add onions. Continue to sauté until onions are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper and mushrooms. Continue to cook until mushrooms are softened and golden. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add kale. Reduce heat to low then simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Stir in coconut milk. Season with additional salt and pepper.