Spring has arrived!
And these Lemon Olive Oil Muffins are perfect for celebrations like Easter, Mother’s Day, Graduations and any other special occasions in the coming months.
This recipe is “paleo friendly” because it is gluten and dairy-free, but please note, it is sweetened with honey and maple syrup.!
We love this recipe, and consider it a special “smart splurge” or occasional treat.
It is so simple to make and the end result is a beautifully lemony moist muffin with the exceptional olive oil flavors of Italy. With just one bite, you’ll feel as if you’ve been transported to glorious Italy!
Makes 12-14 muffins.
If you are not following a paleo diet, feel free to substitute the almond flour with your favorite gluten-free flour – either way, they are delicious!!
- 1 and 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea or pink salt
- 1/2 cup lemon or orange olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh organic freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, optional – for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pans with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and water.
- Slowly pour the olive oil mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined, taking care not to overmix.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes, or a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes, then remove from pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, and enjoy.