According to the EWG.org, sardines are one of the best bets for fish choices. They are very high in Omega-3s, and have a low mercury content. Packed with beneficial vitamins and minerals, sardines are an often-overlooked and under-rated fish.
Here are some more facts about sardines:
- Excellent source of vitamin B-12, and vitamin D.
- Contain several essential minerals: Calcium, niacin, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus.
- Sardines are naturally high in protein – which is necessary for building healthy muscles and for making antibodies that help to keep our immune systems strong.
Next time you are considering making fish for dinner, try this tasty and easy sardine recipe.
- 4-6 oz Sardines (packed in olive oil)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. almond flour
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. pink or sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. avocado or coconut oil
- Black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedge
- Skewers (if grilling)
Place the sardines in a medium bowl drizzle with lemon juice. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. In a shallow bowl, combine the almond flour and spices. Heat oil over medium-high heat in medium pan. Remove sardines from marinade and roll in almond flour mixture. Pan fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until nicely browned and crisp (or, if grilling, place sardines on skewers and grill for 2-3 minutes per side). Top with juice from lemon wedge, fresh cilantro, and black pepper to taste.